We are a small congregation, an outpost of Unitarian Universalist activity and thought,
located in the northern reaches of Maine and the East Coast.
The congregation has a long history in Caribou. The building was erected in 1867
as first the Union Meeting Congregationalist Church and then Universalist Church.
On January 21, 1895, the present congregation was incorporated as the Universalist Parish.
This was the second attempt at establishing a Universalist presence in the area.
In 1903 the Universalists took over sole ownership of the church, the other
congregations having either disbanded or built their own buildings in Caribou.
Our church is the oldest church building in Caribou. Since that time the memorial stained-glass
windows were installed and the parish house was built. The parish house now houses the church office and
Sunday-school rooms; it also provides space for church meetings and coffee hour.
Over the years, the congregation has ebbed and waned with the establishment of the Ladies Aid,
the Murry Club, and the Men's Club. In 1960 the First Universalist Church of Caribou voted to
join the merger of the Unitarian and Universalist Churches to become part of the
Unitarian Universalist Association. Due to its independent stance, however,
it was not until 1982 that the congregation voted to change its name to
The Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Caribou.
We have church services and other get-togethers throughout the year.
Refer to the schedule on our home page for
dates, times, and locations for upcoming services and other events.
Please join us for thought-provoking, progressive sermons and conversation. We'd love to meet you.
Our church is located
at 3 Grove Street
in Caribou, Maine.
click for map